After moving into our own home, we bought a small chest freezer that we use in the basement to store produce. Most people around us buy a quarter cow every year, or half of a half (which is somehow different from a quarter?) We aren’t huge red meat eaters but are far from vegetarian. You would never know though looking through the contents of our freezer – strawberries, blueberries, applesauce… it’s all fruit!
Last week we went strawberry picking with my sister and nephews, well… She and I picked and they ate. I am now all stocked up on freezer jam, frozen berries, and have been eating the rest by the handfuls. My defense is strawberries really don’t last long on the counter and it would be a shame for all that hard work to go to waste. I did manage to make a few recipes, including this white chocolate mousse tart (which was gone before I took a pic) and this delicious ice cream. Yup I think strawberry is one of my favorites.
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups water
- 5 cups quartered strawberries (about 4 pints)
- 2 cups low-fat buttermilk
- Combine sugar and water in a large saucepan; bring to a boil, stirring until sugar dissolves. Pour into a large bowl; cool completely.
- Place strawberries in a blender, and process until smooth. Add strawberry purée and buttermilk to sugar syrup; stir to combine.
- Pour the strawberry mixture into the freezer can of an ice-cream freezer, and freeze according to the manufacturer’s instructions.